Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Strange Encounter................



Here I am again wining as usual, wondering what breed the human race is. I can’t quite fathom why the culture of double speak and double standards continue to be the order of the day. Is it that we can’t really place what we stand for? Or is it just a mere case of pledging allegiance to principles alien to us? Either way, it’s not for me to pass judgments; mine is simply to take it all in and revel in the drama. Today I stumbled on her, seductively walking along the pavements in high heels. Her confidence was impressive, her attitude nauseating and her perception somewhat irritating. I was a few steps behind her, wondering what on earth would make a woman feel like the world is at her feet. I know I might be branded a male chauvinist by the so called custodians of the girl child. To that, I say find the strongest of terms. 


So when incidentally I found myself sitting opposite her in a coffee shop, I couldn’t help but acclaim her sense of beauty, her style, demeanor and rather infectious presence. She was everything cosmetic in the literal sense of the word. Everything seemed to be fine and we sipped whatever we were drinking without a fuss, pretentious of each other’s presence, oblivious of the tension growing between us. When her friend joined her, I found myself straining my ears to catch every single word they said. Now don’t get me wrong brethrens (pun not intended). I kind of have a thing for women of intellect, the kind that not only flaunt their beauty but also have the muscle to sustain an intellectual conversation for an hour.

I wanted to find out what lay behind the beauty. So when she retorted that all men are dogs, I subconsciously answered “what breed is your father?” I hadn’t prepared myself for the backlash not to mention that I had clearly crossed the line. If eyes could kill, yesterday was the last of the days you could have heard from me dear diary. She was visibly enraged, uttering obscenities I couldn’t quite comprehend, her face was red and her body language bailed for my blood. I sat there, completely unmoved, knowing that when it came to justifying what I had said, she was a no show.

Dear diary, I have always wondered why people uphold double standards, why people say one thing when they mean the other. Here I was face to face with a perfect example of the fallacy of accident and converse accident. What does “all” mean? And why is it that when I asked a harmless question backed by what she had stated she buckled? The irony is that while everyone has been clamoring for gender equality for women, men seem to be constantly on the losing end. We have been fed with lies and fallacies that the very existence of a girl child is under threat (a figment of imagination if you asked me). All along, men have been ceding ground in an attempt to level the playing field. However, women acquire new ground but never cede an inch of their own ground! 

Back to this beautiful lady at the coffee shop, you guessed it right! I was labeled an even bigger dog who could not mind his own business. An idler whose very source of satisfaction is in listening to other peoples conversation! Alas! Now this was expected! But then, if you think what you are saying might offend someone sitting next to you, why not do it in private? I do not speak for the masses because for long I have believed that masses are asses. I do not care what you think- whether you think am a perfect gentleman or a male chauvinist who needs to be put in his place. I stand guilty on many fronts I suppose. But cammon! Give me a break! You and I are no different. I could have gone home crestfallen, my ego battered, my confidence shaken. But in my characteristic style, i could not allow this stupid incidence to get to me.

That is why dear diary, I thought I should record it down for memorabilia, to act as a reminder of how selfish we humans are. Other than this rather unfortunate encounter, my day was great. I attained a few of my goals, achieved a few milestones and kimale as usual never left my mind. Of late she has become a like a bad cold lingering in my body. However, much I try to shake the feeling of, it dawns on me that she is my drug, my addiction! With her as my addiction, rehabilitation center is a prison………….I rest my case for today dear diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment