Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Wounded Affection ...2


Dear diary,

There is something disturbing about these memories, I am not sure if it is because am dissatisfied with the person I was back then or if it is because am embarrassed by the weakness I see in that young confused version of me. The thing is if all these had happened today I would have confronted him right there and then, but for some reasons that I can not quite comprehend I didn't do it then, it took me two solid years before I could even tell my friend (Mary) about what really happened between me and Kyle and why all over sadden I was caught up in my own bubble and spent less or no time with Kyle. Now that I think about it I think may be its because I didn't know who to trust after I was betrayed by a guy who not only said he was falling for me but a guy I once believed to be a true friend, or maybe it is because I never want to talk about my painful experiences until they do not hurt anymore, until when they don’t matter anymore.


I remember it was around this time when I learned how to postpone my  day tears to nights tears where i would wet my pillows and bed sheets without anyone noticing, I learned how to hide my scars from people around me, how to hide inside myself, how to be somebody else; someone who is happy and contented on the outside but wounded and broken in the inside. And After I mastered all the tricks, Kyle was dead to me. With this in mind am sure now you understand why I was shocked when I received his email considering I have been ignoring his calls for the past 3 years. Okay without wasting anymore time let me show you his email;

Dear Shantelle,

I hope this email finds you in good health, I am not fine but I hope I will get better when I hear from you. It has been three years since I lost you as my true friend.  I have tried calling and texting you with no success but I hope you know I am really sorry about what I said to Gilead three years ago. I know I did hurt you and for that am really sorry but you have to believe me I did not intend to. I know it is too late to take back what I said but want you to know I didn't mean any of it.

I know you know what I said but here is what you didn't know; Gilead is not just a friend to me, he is my brother, he has known me ever since I was born, he knows me so well sometimes I think he knows me more than I know myself and he was sure I was falling for you before I even knew it myself. He was the one who encouraged me to tell you about my feelings. At first I wanted to pretend that it was okay for us being friends after all I already had a girlfriend, but as the days went by I began to think of you more than anything else. I kept replaying all the conversation we have ever had, rereading all the emails and messages that we had exchanged every night before I went to bed. It did not take long before I knew all I wanted was you, you were made for me and me for you (If you must know this is the real reason as to why I broke up with Truffy and why I became a regular visitor in your apartment). 

The truth is everyday I would wake up, imagine every possible conversation that will lead me to tell you about my feelings...I began to change all my behaviors that I thought you might not like, dressed myself like Brad Pitt (he was your favorite celebrity back then) and I must admit become a better person. Every morning I will be so anxious to spend time with you and when you were there my anxiety would transform into tension, and tension became fear, this fear would normally make me embarrassed about showing affection that’s why I would sometimes seem cold and distant.

It had been two days since you told me you were not ready for a relationship, my fear had hit the top of the roof and I was embarrassed about showing my affection especially because I knew you might never feel the same for me. My conversation with Gilead happened at the time I was trying to get regain the part of me that was lost in you. I needed sometime to get over the fact that you were not ready and going out with you was not an option. I knew Gilead was not going to let it go just like that so I had to say something that will get him off my back and that was when I said what I said. I never understood why you were avoiding me all this while, I  walked around try to understand what went wrong between us and I could never put a finger to it until Mary told me  a year ago and since then I have never stopped regretting that single sentence that ruined completely the chances of us being together.

They say wounds of your past will never stop to bleed until you can find strength to open them, stick your hands inside and pull out the core of the pain that is holding you in the past. I have tried to stop the blood by bandaging it with friends, food, alcohol, work, sex, drugs but it always oozes and stain my life. Today I have found the strength to tell you the other side of the story which you never knew hopping I will finally be able to get over the fact that I did hurt you.

For three years I have not been able to get you off my mind, I have had other friends, other lovers but I came to realize I was just looking for you in them. I hope you will find a way to forgive me and maybe we can be friends again. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Love always,
Kyle.

Dear diary, they say things are sweeter when they are lost but in an odd way some part of me instinctively reached out and understood this pain. I never thought that there will come a day when I will share Kyle’s pain or I could entertain the thought of us being friends again after his betrayal. After reading this I feel like he deserved a chance to explain himself back then but then why did it take him three years to write this email? If he was embarrassed then won’t he be embarrassed now? Anyway there are lots of questions with no answers, am still trying to decide if I should reply him or not. May be you can help me make that decision after all you are the other person besides me who knows about this........ I will be waiting for your advice.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment